Saturday, February 5, 2011

Summary Post C4T #1

C4T #1
I was assigned to read Mrs. Caren Carrillo’s post, “Grading Parents”.

Mrs. Carrillo’s blog post was about a CNN.com article she read about teachers giving parents grades. Parents were graded to see where they needed improvement in these three areas:
1.A child should be at school on time, prepared to learn after a good night’s sleep, and have eaten a meal.
2.A child should have the homework done and prepared for examinations.
3.There should be regular communications between the parent and teacher.
In her post, she blogs about these three points and her view on each on them. She says she likes holding the parents responsible for the child being late because she was always the child that got in trouble for being late and never understood how that was fair since she could not yet drive. Next, she blogs about her view on parents being graded on their child eating breakfast. She wrote about how she never ate breakfast as a child, but that does not mean her parents were responsible for it, or even bad parents for that matter. She wrote about parents being graded for their children getting a good night sleep, getting their homework done, being prepared for exams and for having regular communication with their child. Also, she wrote about how parents may not have money for these certain things. Does that make them a “bad parent”? Should parents even be graded on these kinds of things?

When I wrote Mrs. Carrillo, I wrote about how some of the points mentioned in her post were relating to my life, as well as, the lives of the children at the Learning Center. First of all, if children are late it does not matter because we do not have punishment for being late. However, I do remember being late as a child and it was usually not my fault because I could not drive. Next, my parents are great supporters and even though Math is not my subject, they tried their best to help me throughout the years. Sadly, Math is not their subject either but they would do everything in their power to get me help. Does that make them a “bad parent” because they were sometimes unable to figure out the math problem? One last point I mentioned was the lack of parents helping with homework or school work at home with their child. Like I said before, even if Math was not my parents subject they still sat at the table for hours on end with me trying to figure them out. But, not all parents take that time out with their child to go over what they learned in school that day. It reflects through the child when a parent does or does not help them learn. Sometimes just learning it at school may not be enough and the child may need the parent’s help too. Our four year old teacher gives her class homework and hopes that the parents will only take a little time out to help their child. The difference is obvious in how many children got help the night before and how many did not. I enjoyed reading this post. It has a lot of truth behind each point.



C4T #2
I was assigned to read Mrs. Caren Carrillo’s post, “A Teachers Frightening Power”.

Mrs. Carrillo’s blog post was about the power that teachers have over how students feel about school. She wrote about a class that she took with a teacher that made her feel like her opinions did not matter. Mrs. Carrillo says that she is thinker and a questioner. She says “her mind if often working faster than her mouth.” In this post she wrote about how the teacher humiliates her, and others, for the information they put forth in the class. Her teacher makes her come home from the class making her feel defeated and like feel should not be allowed to ask questions or voice her thoughts. She hopes that she has never made a student feel this way in her class and it is now something she works hard at to make sure no student will feel this way in her class.

In my post to Mrs. Carrillo, I wrote about how I agree that a teacher has the power over how their students feel about the class. It is sad to say that I have not taken a class before just because I have heard horror stories of the teacher which made me not take the class. We have all been in a class where the teacher makes you feel like your thoughts are not needed and that he or she can only voice their own opinions. Being able to ask questions, voice your opinions, and tell your thoughts are ways of learning and no one should take that away, especially not the teacher. A teacher does have all the power in “making the class” or breaking the class” for their students. This post made me think. No one likes to feel humiliated or like their thoughts do not matter, so it makes me want to strive to not be that teacher who “breaks” the class for their students.

No comments:

Post a Comment