Thursday, March 31, 2011

Blog Assignment #10

An Open Letter to Educators
We all can compare to Morgan Bayda when she says that she sometimes has a hard time staying awake in class and keeping her mind focused on the lecture that is being taught. As students we have gone through years of sitting in desks, listening to the teacher lecture, or taking notes from a power point. While technology is advancing and taking off, education is not catching up. We are still being taught with books that cost us hundreds of dollars and are never even opened.

When I envision my future classroom, I see group work, teams of hard working students, questions being asked, and most importantly the use of technology. I can not wait to learn more about how technology can be used in my classroom. EDM 310 holds great ideas for future teachers, and I am thrilled to be able to use what I have learned in my classroom one day soon.



Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home!
Tom Johnson's post was mainly about how people tend to focus on the problem more than the solution. When a problem occurs it is best to focus on how something good can come out of it, or even work to make something good come from it. Like in this post, taking pencils home was not such a bad idea because he did not care what they were doing with the pencils because it was keeping their minds busy. I hate to think that there are teachers out there who are more concerned with the test scores. Let students "bring the pencils home". They are learning something even if they are using their pencils to play Hangman!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brittni,

    I hope you are right about the future classroom!! I think it will take a long time, but hopefully we can start before that time comes. Most of our teachers (or at least the majority of mine) do not use technology "effectively" in the classroom.

    From Dr. Strange: It seems that you did not understand that Tom Johnspn's post Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home was a metaphor in which pencils were computers. I will complete my post Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them (A Learning Opportunity) later this week. After this post appears on the Class Blog you will be required to leave a comment. Watch the Class Blog for further instructions.

    ReplyDelete