Thursday, April 28, 2011

Final Report on PLN


The first PLN that I started making somehow got deleted, so I had to start over and make another one. Luckily, I remembered a lot of the tiles that I used from the first one and I added those and more to my new PLN. Over the past few weeks I have been working to find tiles to add to my PLN. Like I said before, I had a lot of fun with this project. Before EDM 310, I did not know what a PLN was. But now this will be something that I will use in my classroom. It is a great way to keep all of your favorite and most used websites together.

The top left side of my PLN includes websites that I visit often, such as: Facebook, Twitter, Blogger, the Class Blog, Student Links, GMail, Google, South Alabama Homepage, YouTube, and a few others.

The middle left side includes photo editing websites, some of which I use pretty frequently and others that I recently found while making my PLN. I use Picasa and PicNik for editing every photo shoot that I do. EDM 310 introduced me to Flickr and Aviary, and I found Foto View while making my PLN. These tiles are close to the top because photography is a big hobby of mine and I plan on bringing this hobby into the classroom. After all, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

The bottom left side are random websites that I visit less frequently, but felt like they should make it to my PLN. These websites include: SchoolTube, TeacherTube, Amazon, iTunes, Ebay, Yellow Pages, Pandora, Weather Channel, and Online Dictionary. Some are used more than others, but I wanted all of these to be on my PLN because I use them all on occasion.

The top right side includes Google sites, such as: Google Maps, Google Docs, and Google Earth. Under this row, there are websites that we have used in EDM 310 or were supposed to download to our computer. These websites include: iTunes U, Apple, Skype, Wordle, and Timetoast. There may be other websites we used in EDM 310 that are not on my PLN, but these are the ones I have used the most.

The bottom right side includes websites that I have found and thought will be useful in my classroom one day. Some of these websites I have been introduced to at the Learning Center, such as: Story Starter, Clifford, and Story Line. The rest of the websites I have either found on my own or I know of them from school, such as: PBS Teacher, PBS Kids, Dr. Seuss, Funbrain, Poetry4Kids, Brain Pop, National Geographic Kids, Scholastic, Alabama Virtual Library, Homework Helper, SMART Board, Discovery Works, and Discovery Education. These websites take up majority of my PLN because I believe I will use these tiles more than any other tiles once I get in my classroom.

The bottom middle, under Google Search, includes websites such as Mrs. Yollis' class blog, Mr. McClung's class blog, Ken Robinson's speech on Schools Kill Creativity, and Randy Pausch's Last Lecture speech. I included these tiles in my PLN because these are a few of my favorite things that we got the chance to look at in EDM 310 and I would not want to forget about these class blog's or the speech's. They all contain information that I plan to take with me in my journey with my students.

In summary, I think my PLN is very helpful to me right now, as well as, later on down the road. I have found some very insightful websites that I plan to take with me after EDM 310 and use in my classroom one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment